Pages

December 13, 2010

Christmas Chutney

The Christmas chutney that I made this year is from the Nigella's Christmas cookbook, surprising, I know. It is really pretty simple and takes under two hours total, not all of which is spent working. The fruit portion of the chutney consists of green apples, cranberries and chopped soft dates. I used 5 smallish peeled and diced granny smiths, one bag of cranberries and 16 oz of dates.
Then you just add the zest of 2 clementines, then add the juice and scrape out the pulp into your chutney pot.
You add 2 cups of sugar and a teaspoon (give or take) of various spices; ground cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and 1/4 t of cayenne pepper.
Pour almost an entire bottle of white wine vinegar over the top and turn the heat on. When it starts to bubble, put the lid on and turn the heat down.
I find that the perfect time to sterilize the jars is while the chutney is cooking.
After about an hour or so the chutney should have turned into a "pulpy mass" which is a pretty good description of the consistency.
I just used a soup ladle to fill my jars and voila, it's festive and delish!!
Hope all is well!! XOXO -Amber

No comments: