Pages

October 21, 2010

Beautiful Darkness

I was lucky enough to get the afternoon "off" to go to a book signing in Scottsdale last week. Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl were in town promoting their new book, Beautiful Darkness. I had only ever been to one book signing before and that was for a Rachel Ray cookbook where we stood in line for 2 hours, in the rain, for 2 minutes of her smiling, signing and then moving us along for the next person. Oh and no pictures please... This was a much different and much more enjoyable experience. They had a Rosemary Clement-Moore in town to do an interview first, then a speed round where we could ask silly and totally mundane questions, and then a more serious book related Q&A session. Then there was a little bit of standing in line to actually get my book signed but it was worth it because they were chatty and totally cool with taking pictures with everybody. They also had free stuff (swag) for everyone and I got to bring home a signed poster for the girls.
Since the signing I've finished the book and I really liked it. The way some of the unresolved issues were wrapped up made me like the first book (Beautiful Creatures) even more and made me want to re-read both books to see how they work together. I enjoyed how they expanded the caster world beyond Gatlin and gave more info about some of the other "things" you might encounter there. After the last couple of chapters I am definitely looking forward to the next book and am excited to see how Link and Ridley's characters are going to develop after what happened in this book. Also I want Amma to move in with me : ) That's all.
Anyway, reading about southern food and PIE made me really in the mood for, well pie. So me and Frankie made a couple a pies: apple and sweet potato to be exact. He's such a good little helper.


When he's not getting into trouble (this is his "I'm not doing anything" look and yes he's on the tiny window sill leaning up against the screen)

No comments: